The Government's attack on Sanctuary Cities and the undocumented workers they shelter violates the core principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which the United States championed in 1948. After World War II, our nation recognized that people throughout the world have an innate right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and that these rights were not limited by national boundaries.
Article 15 of the Universal Declaration of Human rights states simply:
- Everyone has the right to a nationality.
- No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.
Our country helped author this declaration, because we understood the danger of a world without human rights. Our country bore witness to the horrors of the Holocaust and came to realize how our refugee policy failed the world. Our leaders comprehended the threats posed by amoral dictatorships and pronounced a better way. The United States stood first in the world.
Trump and Sessions are not interested in making America great again, they are interested in taking us back to the Trail of Tears, to the injustices of slavery and Jim Crow, to a time where the rights of individuals were ignored. It is time to fight back.
The Government wants to punish cities that fail to comply with 8 U.S. Code 1373 which states, no agency or official may restrict a civil servant from sending to, or receiving from, the Immigration and Naturalization Service [ICE] information regarding the citizenship or immigration status, lawful or unlawful, of any individual. We want to illustrate the stupidity of this law by embracing it.
The law prohibits ANY efforts to manage the flow of citizenship queries. Let's show the Government what no restrictions really means. With a click of the button, a single civil servant will be able to generate millions of queries drawn from voter roles. After all, Donald Trump himself has maintained that millions of undocumented workers illegally voted. With help from across the country, we will generate billions of legal queries.
These messages will not be simple SPAM which the Government can shove aside. The law they so fervently insist on enforcing mandates that they CANNOT restrict the flow of our queries, and they MUST respond to each and every one.
- The Sanctuary app will be carefully designed to prevent the inadvertent targeting or identification of undocumented residents.
- The Sanctuary app will not generate fraudulent requests. Instead, all messages will be tied to the legitimate queries of civil servants and activists across this nation.
- We know that the Sanctuary Cities across this nation are focused on the safety of their citizens. While their constitutional legal battle against Trump's draconian measures will likely succeed, we want to make sure that the law is emasculated regardless of the Supreme Court's opinion.
- Help us build a haystack and stop Trump's assault on the safety of our country's documented and undocumented residents.